Thursday, March 5, 2015

Need a Job? I Feel the Same. Time to use Life's BS for Fertilizer

Being chronically ill has made finding a job a nightmare. As one lady put it, "it's great you're doing a lot better but you really don't have much hope for getting a real job." I found this a bit offensive. I know my medical problems limit my ability to hold a typical job. I can't sit for hours in an office and my driving allowances are nil. Still this doesn't mean I don't long for a job. 

I am a people person. Someone capable of talking to anyone about pretty much anything. According to others I have a talent for writing, one of several reasons I take freelance jobs. I once wanted to work in a lab but lost the ability to do simple things like using a microscope (my eye-brain coordination gets thrown off which triggers vertigo and double vision meaning all those beautiful cells start doing a carousel ride). I wanted to do a job focusing on one aspect. Now I want to work with people to help in many aspects. I want to reach out so they know when life hands you a curve you may have to slow down but it does not mean giving in. 

I have learned a great deal about what makes us function. Humans are complex in every way but a part of us is always going to be simple. The need to feel validated, to know our lives have a point. Many people have asked me, 'why bother? What I do doesn't matter. People who say otherwise are full of BS.' I will agree with you even the 'nicest' people have some type of BS. If I had a dollar for every BS statement I wouldn't need a job.

So here is what I have to say "let's take that BS and use it as fertilizer. Fertilizer for something better. I don't mean the 'insert inspiration words here' and then life is great. Life isn't a Lifetime movie. Let's acknowledge the BS in our lives. It's there. It's reality. So what do we do with it? First we take a step back and look at the greater picture. Look at how it is and honestly admit it. Now clear you head and honestly state what you want. Happiness? A bigger home? A better job? What do we want? And now, were do we start to get there. I could detail the steps but I don't want to right here, right now. Why? Because I believe a two hour talk on finding success starts with a ten-minute personal moment of honesty. I can't tell a person what to think or do. That's a great way to change one's thinking for a day but to make a true change in life? That's a bit deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment