Monday, August 12, 2013

And if I were a Millionaire...

I was thinking today about what I would if I had millions at my disposal. Fancy cars are irrelevant since I am medically forbidden to drive and shopping only gets you so far. So here is what I would do:
My cane and I in Las Vegas!

1) Have a travel show even if it's just one episode about traveling chronically ill because at times it's just hilarious. I love life and if you find the humor in life then it is never boring! For instance in Las Vegas I had to use my cane. People would see it and ask if it was a 'kinky toy to keep my man in line.' Now THAT was a new one for me. I preferred using it to reach the elevator. My friend and I were in six inch heels and hell you can't run to fast in those. So I would reach out the cane and stop it from closing. We got asked to party VIP so I broke down my cane into four parts, stashed it into her purse, and held on for the ride. Traveling chronically ill is an experience and not something to be horrified about. 

2) Fund Dysautonomia research to find a cure and call the lab: Dysauto-YES-mia because there is now a way to treat it for good. No more no, just join a support group and let life pass us by. Now it would be yes, there is a saving treatment, and yes you can kick this disease's ass. Plus, I would love being able to be in the lab. I love all lab work and I'd be like, 'can I see what you are doing? I'll wash those petri dishes! Please let me do injections and can I examine those immunoflourescent cells?' My dream resides in the lab and I want to return to it.

3) Buy my parents a new car. My parents have paid for us to travel all over the world and given their children more experiences then most will have in a lifetime. Yet they have never used the money to buy a new car. So I would love to do it for them. For my mom it would be one of those super-green hybrid types and my dad, well, whatever he would like to have.

4) Have a travel fund so chronically ill people can finally have a chance to do it. Medications, doctor's visits, and the stress of every day life often means we feel trapped. I am lucky to be able to travel but most cannot say the same. People have foundations for children to travel but they forget about the inner child in us. I want to give people the opportunities I have. Traveling helps give a reason to hope, happy memories to fall back on, and something special to share.

5) Be free. I could pay for help so my family would not be constantly stuck in a cycle of worrying and caring for me. They would know someone was around and not be so scared to let me function on my own.

So there you have it. Of course there is more but as life goes I am very tired and need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment