Thursday, August 22, 2013

Peter & Judith Surname: A New Outlook on Optimism?

Living my life the way I do, I often get a lot of  eh...useless comforting comments. The most popular being 'it could be worse.' I know it could be worse. There are days when I am so miserable I watch those ID murder shows and say, "hey, it could be worse...no one has murdered me and I still have all my limbs (even the ones I can't really feel) and I am not suffering from a viral hemorrhagic fever." Then I have the rare day where I am so miserable and grouchy, woe be the idiotic person who gives the 'it could be worse.' They get one hell of an evil eye and the icily delivered pointed statement that a person who can run, drive, and lacks a fancy for large pillboxes better not be saying something so completely stupid.

Most days I live in a limbo of thinking 'it could be worse' and not thinking about it at all. Until I was watching Come Fly With Me (Learn More Here) for about the 18th time. I especially love watching Peter & Judith Surname who are a couple who always have 'the holiday from hell.' Every time I watch I laugh at their antics but a few days ago I really realized something immensely special about their characters. They have the worst luck and yet the greatest sense of optimism. For example, the first time you meet they have had 'the holiday from hell.' They arrive in there cabin on their cruise ship to find it half underwater. Now most people I know would be furious, demand another room, and make us all miserable with their complaints. Peter and Judith's reaction goes (not exact quotes but forgive the memory) We thought ho hum! It's only our bottom halves. (and then decide to enjoy the rest of their vacation). Now that is serious optimism and considering more events which happen, comically delightful. 

So what does that have to do with me? Well I am tired of the same old, same old and am going to find the amusement behind the chronically ill miserable moments. Can't feel my foot? Ho hum! It's only my bottom half. I've still got the majority of me to enjoy life with. Constantly feeling tired? Ho hum! I will catch up on a life's worth of beauty sleep and feel more rested than ever. And if I really need a lift I will just watch some more of Judith and Peter and think...hey....at least I've never gotten bitten by a rabid dog, had my wife asked if I could be put down and saved by a doctor saying it was unethical, then gotten caught carrying a briefcase which unknowingly was filled with cocaine. They strongly could not give a vacation like that more than a three out of five. So who am I to complain with life like this if they could give a life like that such an astonishing amount of optimism?

No comments:

Post a Comment