Thursday, March 20, 2014

Takin' Responsibility for The Stupid Injuries

I've done a lot of stupid things in life. I wouldn't say my latest (kinda latest) problem is the most stupid but kind of up there with the time in Greece when my brother stepped off a curb, while loudly proclaiming his sobriety, and instantly informed us he had hurt his ankle. I wasn't drunk. Perhaps on excitement maybe a tad giddy.

You see my brother was home for only a short ten days in December. He was always so busy catching up with people in the area I hardly saw him. To make up for it he offered to do anything I wanted. Why people use such dangerous words is forever beyond me. Of course I wanted to go skating. Skating with my lovely white figure skates which happened to be somewhere in the attic. We had multiple pairs easily spotted after the move but I wanted those. While searching I got in a bit of a tight spot. My knee stayed to the front while the rest of me went in another direction. There was a noise followed by a lot of pain. 

The worst part? We didn't find my particular skates. I had to use a larger pair with some heavy socks. Never mind I could not walk on my knee properly. I wanted to skate and this might be my only chance. So I skated with my walker. The experience was glorious. Well worth the next few days I spent hobbling around trying to maintain the position or two which did not put weight where it hurt.

I saw the doctor a few weeks later and mentioned it. We figured the pain would go away and it did. For a time anyway. Every so often it would flare up. I could ignore it. Then on the flights it made a painful return. Blast it hurt. Anytime there was pain/swelling below my knees it flared up. The oddest part being the pain was in one specific site inside the knee. I can point to it (like an awkward pin-the-tail on the pain).

Handling pain is all in a typical day's work. Scratch that. Handling pain in one area at a time/maybe two is a typical day. Not pain in the knee, both legs, head, back, fever, and itchiness. I draw the line when you have to start listing off what doesn't hurt because it's easier than what does. My mother stayed late this morning muttering about DVT and calling the doctor over the leg swelling. They ache but I would say are on the mend. 

I am proud to admit I did the adult thing and told her about the knee pain returning. If my little sister were here she would probably start hugging me gushing over such an accomplishment. I'm very glad she is not. Especially since she successfully put in her first I.V. and would probably follow up the 'good jobs' with 'can I practice on you?'

I am going to admit I have been procrastinating with this entry. Calling the doctor is on my list of least-liked activities. I know I need to call. He told me to call, my mother told me, the long-time boyfriend told me...the only one who hasn't is the dog. Ah. If only I had a really cool story to say to him. The type where you rescue a baby from a raging inferno or something gradiose like so. The truth is never so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment