Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Venous Schmenous

Cardiology visit was today. I was a bit amazed to see the PA in the room even before the nurse. Typically, it goes : nurse/EKG, PA , and finally cardiologist. I saw this as a good start to the visit. Then again, when I was little  I also used to eat ketchup and bread sandwiches. Point is my intuition can be a tad off.

First comes the good news: the heart rhythm looks good *cheers.* The heart murmur remains the same *whoo hoo!* I should have kept quiet and walked out feeling a success. Instead, I brought up the swelling and pain in the legs that showed up a day or two after the return flight.. I merely thought they would give me a bit more advice on what else I could do about it.

What I didn' t expect was the PA to ask if I had gotten a venous ultrasound. Again with the should have gone to the doctor. My mother was practically gloating when I told her this. She has been nagging me about just that. I can only give the truth: I loathe going to the doctor and will ignore just about anything to avoid it.

The most amusing part to me was the PA. He said I should get the venous ultrasound, asked some stuff, listened to the heart again,  then made his exit. Five minutes later comes rushing back in (fastest I have ever seen the man move/most expression) to inform me the ultrasound is to check for blood clots. I told him I knew all about DVT. Long flights + sedentary body + poor circulation = possible blood clots in the legs.

Back to seeing the actual cardiologist. The man has been EVERYWHERE. He started talking about his China tour/cruise and threw in a horribly uncomfortable plane ride story. Poor man. Anyway, he has the miraculous way of getting me all upbeat. Good news on the heart and then...I expect to see you in a week. My life's hope was increasing the time between cardiology visits not decreasing. Bah. Ridiculous body of mine. 

When I told my mother about the venous ultrasound (getting it in a few days) she wasted no time in giving me the 'see? I was right' spiel. I texted my boyfriend what all happened. He was more along the worried line of thinking. "Isn't that serious? What if it is a blood clot? That does not sound good at all." I say...I highly highly doubt it. Practically bet there is none and they are merely being cautious. No need to worry just keep on going with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment