Friday, March 21, 2014

Chronic illness Making You to Shaky for a Fork? Get Chopsticks!

There were some very very shaky days on the tour. I had difficulty with the whole eating thing. My friend was good enough to discretely chop up my morning fruit into bite-size pieces which made life a lot easier. Still, I didn't want to be stuck using forks like the rest of my tour.


I love using chopsticks. For reasons unknown, they feel natural in my fingers. I do not know if I hold them to polite perfection but I do know they respond better to my touch than silverware. While most of our group struggled to so much as hold theirs I opted to use them at every meal.

Even when I shook I preferred the chopsticks. Most people would not believe it but they made it easier to do the food-from-plate-to-mouth routine. My shaky hands were able to hold them with ease. I believe all those years of holding pliers for jewelry making helped a great deal. Once your body gets used to using multiple tools in one hand it does not forget it.

True. Definite patience was needed to get the food but once I had it, I didn't let go. The precision to not stab myself with a chopstick in the eye was a bit daunting. Slow and steady was my mantra. In the end, it proved to be the right one. I found success with immense satisfaction. I got to do something I really wanted despite what my body did to dissuade it.

Most people might find the simple things I take pride in to be a bit odd. I once thought so as well. Now I know it's the little things we can do which make us who we are. I won't ever be an Olympic athlete or bigwig in NASA but I do hope my words reach others like me. If I could, I would just give talks to people on simply that. Positive thinking is great and all but when it comes to true life, it's about what you do regardless of the world says is 'success.' Besides, I adhere to the Surname Positive Outlook over standard positive thinking anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment