Thursday, February 20, 2014

Always a Good Time in the Medical Supply Store!

Today I did my first walk-in at my all-time favorite (and only) medical supply store. I had an appointment for next week but as I am going on vacation I decided to do the walk-in. The lady told me 'if you get there right at 9 (when they open) you shouldn't have to worry about waiting.' So there I was. Standing in the cold at 8:56 while mother and grandchild watched me from the heated car.
O. Those sexy compression stockings!


The people at the store are nice. They treat me like it is totally normal to see a non-senior citizen hanging around getting fitted for Jobst stockings. Of course they also sometimes forget I have been there before which I try to subtly attempt to remind them of my need for 'sandstone color' stockings which must be ordered in specially. I expected a short few minutes wait because an old hand like myself verifies insurance in advance. Plus my cardiologist was on fire yesterday. Not literally. Just figuratively at a prescription speed. Normally it might take a few days for them to fax over the new prescription but they got it done within an hour or two!

Back to the medical store, the first time I went there it was fascinating. They contain a mini-furniture store with rows and rows of armchairs. Each chair is also a 'lift.' I know because I went around trying them out before getting to one which had a clear sign stating to 'not sit on lift chairs.' After that awkward moment I wandered over to the other area. There it looks a bit like the IKEA store with room scenarios all ready for you to walk into. Except this would be the IKEA home hospital version. Complete with sit-up tub for optimal enjoyment.

Having gotten considerably more mature about the place I sat there entertaining the baby while waiting..and waiting. Quite insane is the whole process when you consider what they actually do. Once you get called into the private (actually very nice) fitting room you get measured for your stockings. Or in my case you scandalize the workers by taking off your Jobst stockings without the delicate required touch. Definite frowns on that one.

The lady was quite the pro. She measured my leg in about 30 seconds while simultatneously asking me the usual questions. Have I grown? (Not since I was about 13)...and other stuff. Then we proceeded to discuss how we are both shrinking in height and 'o by the way..we don't have your size in sandstone or black color.' Blast! She even called two other stores with no luck.

I'm glad she was also kind enough to not point out it's not usually people my size who are in need of prescription compression stockings. Nor did she ask me about my health. I just gave the usual 'I've got a lot of health problems' and that was that. Excellent fitter (the term they use their for sales rep). I was ready to go once I stepped out of the fitting room. Alas, insurance stuff along with a hefty price tag are required before you go on your way.

While she worked like a speed demon through the documents I got tired of picking up the baby's toys (she recently discovered the art of 'I drop it. You all pick it up') and wandered over to their selection of 'exciting canes.' Hell yes! They are exciting. Their was a walking stick which looked suspiciously like Lucius Malfoy's in Harry Potter. Then there were bright designs, old school wood ones, ones sporting fake bling, and on and on. I was excited until spotting the prices. Who knew canes were so bloody expensive? I didn't. Then again, mine are all from other people. Someone actually gave me a cane as a gift. I didn't even know them but they knew me through my father. I wasn't sure if I should take the cane as a depressing moment or not. Hmmm.

On a lighter note: I found out the importance of having the option of attractive compression stockings. They don't have to be white & hideous! I wrote a lens on squidoo about it. I found it rather funny but as for commissions it is one of my top earners. You can check it out here: Attractive Compression Stockings for Venous Disorders

I also am all for celebrating the cane. So I celebrated by writing a lens on how easy it is to think of your cane as a medical accessory versus a horrid handicap. What can I say? I have an odd view of what life has dealt me. You can find that lens here: My Cane. My Medical Accessory.

No comments:

Post a Comment