Friday, February 28, 2014

Chronic illness Teaches Love's in the Little Things

I've never been much of a big romantic. I don't want bouquets of flowers, gifts of jewelry, and romantic movies? You won't spot me at one. Being chronically ill has not changed that. Although I have amended the flower issue. If I'm in the hospital then a bouquet of flowers is acceptable otherwise go with a potted plant or go home.

The little things were always there. I just never appreciated them before. According to the long time boyfriend 'I've become much nicer' since getting sick. I wasn't a demanding girlfriend just one who was more absorbed in the future than in the now.

Being sick has taught me there is nothing more important then finding the joy in the now. The future? It will take care of itself. We can plan and plan but none of us know if we won't have a tomorrow. So why not appreciate what we have right now?

I appreciate the little things of the now. Like the way I open his freezer and find my favorite ice cream & gluten-free mac n cheese (none of which he eats himself). Or how he sweeps me off my feet when I have trouble getting up the stairs. The way he shrugs off my apologies for not feeling well enough to go anywhere. How he treats me the same regardless of whether I can walk or not. Most of all my chronic illness has taught me how it's the little things we do that add up to the greatest of loves.

1 comment:

  1. In my experiences I have learned to love and appreciate the little things in life, because we as humans seem to forget that the little things in life are the biggest thing we tend to forget. I wish you well dear with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete