Thursday, February 27, 2014

Messy Space Recalls Chronically ill Creativities

When my body starts to lose the ability to do a certain hobby I say it's God's way of telling me to get a new one. This makes for a better outlook than crying over what cannot be changed. I look at my life and see there is a definite upgrade in creativity since the healthy days of before. Is it enough to make me be eternally glad of what happened? Definitely not! I would still love to be doing my previous plans but I survive, adjust my priorities, and go on with a smile.
Available on Etsy.com

I have decided I need to look at what I have gained since much of it happens to be all over the room. I'm talking about bouquets of Kawasaki roses, traditional tulips, daisies, variations on buttonhole flowers, etc. Also, a couple hundred origami cranes hang on strands over the closet doorway. I started because my hands shook to much to make jewelry and now...my hands just need to be doing something. Almost to reassure me they are still working better than the rest of me.

Then there is the 'I bought this embroidery ornament kit years ago at a thrift store' attempt. Not attempt. I did (after hours upon hours) manage to finish one embroidered little girl ornament. Even embroidered my niece's name on the skirt. Of  course I also had to go out on a creative limb which meant she did not exactly resemble the picture. Also, if you keep sewing, unsewing, resewing, you will eventually wear out the fabric of the face and spend long hours attempting to fix it properly. By the way, if you embroider..I now have mastered the Satin Stitch, Outline Stitch, Whip Stitch (one form), and French Knot.

I would love to say I am now a gourmet cook but that would be a ridiculous lie. I have not gained any talent in that area except to have memorized my favorite gluten-free brownie recipe and discovered diabetic frosting. My greatest kitchen accomplishment is not getting hot glue on the counters. 

Sewing. I was always able to do the basic sewing needs but decided what the hell, why not learn something new? Now I sew every week with a woman who is incredible at what she does. I've learned more once a week over several months than in a semester of sewing every day. I just wish she had been there when i first made a quilt. Learning online is no substitute for having an actual guide.

My writing has improved by way of sites like Squidoo, Blogger, and Wizzley. I still suck at certain aspects but get along comfortably. Mostly it's merely cathartic. The same with painting. If I hadn't gotten sick I wouldn't be painting random manga characters. I would still be attempting landscapes *shudder.* Those paintings found their way into origami vases.

Now I find myself with something new. This time I've taken my passion for using wire in my projects (no more trees) and combined it with something I do love, wine. More specifically wine glasses. I call it 'off the vine' creations. Perhaps they will take off somehow. Perhaps not. Right now I'm just living for the pure enjoyment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment