Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Insanely Huge Grocery Stores Lead to Important Reminders!

Yesterday I experienced one of the latest (and evidently greatest) of food store advances. I have shopped the all-natural, all to expensive, and all to ordinary but nothing..nothing like this. The store was huge. Wall upon wall upon wall upon shelf upon shelf upon shelf of food. A whole aisle filled with nothing but different yogurt types.

Yet they lacked the usual wheelchair or electronic chair for us chronically ill slow lane participants. I had to resign myself to sitting on a bench with the cart in front of me and my father pushing it like a stroller. Whoever designed such things was clearly an idiot. 

My father had to ask an employee who had to consult a guide before steering us to the right aisle. As we started going in that far away direction I looked around me and felt a bit sad. When my father brought his friend from Nepal here, the man just stared in awe at the expanse of food. My father told me when he visited Nepal there was nothing near what we refer to as a 'grocery store' in his friend's area. 

I am very lucky to be able to go to a store and buy whatever I need without worrying if it will be gone tomorrow. Yes, I live with a miserable chronic illness but I have been given great gifts. Looking at all the food made me a bit ashamed of all I take for granted. I have been so lucky in life. 

A wonderful family who takes care of me, good friends, and a crazy optomistic view on life. Along with having a damn good doctor & cardiologist, there is to much to be thankful for. On days where I feel down (like I did today) I need those reminders. I need to remember how lucky I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment