Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First Day I.V. EDTA Goes Suprisingly Okay!

My doctor's treatment experiences can be classified (to me anyway) as: ineffective, short-term misery, wtf is this shite when will it go away, and I think it helped(?). He gave up on the reassurance of people feeling better/having a positive experience. My body seems to take these comments as a challenge to react in the worst ways possible. After one particularly brutal test which the nurse vowed to never inflict upon me again my disgruntled father asked, 'why am I paying good money to make you sick?' I used to try to explain the end result was to find ways to make me better but now prefer if we just do lunch instead.

Today was the first EDTA intraveneous infusion(?). Like with any of my good ole tests I had to sign a waiver. Not to alarm you just to warn you of all the possible negative things which could occur from this. Also, I thought the treatment was for the crazy amounts of lead in me. He listed it for tremors. Supposedly the high levels of lead could be the cause of them. I told the secretary I was all for the 'tremor treatment idea!' Way more encouraging sounding then decreasing lead levels.

Being myself I read through the possible side effects with amusement. 'Ah. Syncope. Have that one already. Tachycardia. That one too. Vertigo. That one as well! Etc. I laughed. "I've already got these so no worries!" Ha. Thus the Surname Positive Way of Thinking asserts itself as always. Hey ho! It's not Anaphylactic shock just a bunch of non-life threatening symptoms. Cheers!

I'm happy to report unlike certain other treatments *cough Meyer's Cocktail cough* the most painful part was the needle into the arm. I didn't feel better or worse immediately. My migraine still sucked but I did randomly develop the urge to vomit halfway home. I'm a master at controlling the puking until slightly more opportune times. I try to anyway. Be proud. I made it home. Downed prescription generic Zofram and shut my mouth tight until it passed. Took Excedrin and passed out until my mom came home to ask the ever obvious 'are you asleep? feeling okay?' She always asks if I'm asleep when I clearly am. Today's answer: "....I'm sleeping..." 

To recap: insurance does not pay for the treatment (lame), I did not feel any insane pain, suffer any someone-put-me-out-of-my-misery reactions, and did not vomit all over the car. Excellent progress if I do say so myself. On to a victory fruit smoothie and attempt at a new hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment