Thursday, January 23, 2014

Forget Inside Inner Beauty. It's the Dancer Inside that Counts.

I saw myself in this very quote. Maybe I'm not the old lady (I'm assuming she is advanced in age) but her cane is almost a dead-ringer for my own. We both seem to have the same look. Almost like each step is a challenge to do. I don't dress in dark colors on a typical basis but sometimes I feel like I should. Bland grays and dark shades seem to fit more of how my body often feels.

Yet when I look at the picture I am reminded so much of how I am. We aren't talking about inner beauty etc etc. I am talking about the person we feel inside of us. 

When I was able to go skating for the first time since getting sick I felt her return. The graceful me which didn't have falls, never needed a helping hand to get up the stairs, and would only have contemplated the use of a cane for acting class. Having a body like this has taught me to never forget her. The part of me which my father would laugh at for dancing on tiptoes and practicing figure skating moves until the floors would shake.

Sometimes I wonder how many of us have forgotten about 'what's on the inside counting' being more than just an inner beauty reminder. Inside is the dancer in all of us. The one who transcends all the physical problems which weigh us down. Perhaps you won't see it in our shadows but I promise you, with a little determination, they will always be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment