Monday, October 7, 2013

LITERALLY. A Pain in the Neck

My unique, some people would say odd, form of thinking about my health has led to a new guessing game. I call it, "Where will it hurt tomorrow?" Last night I had a major migraine so I thought I would wake up with head killing me. I gave myself +10 points for being right the next morning. So I took my near-daily migraine help and then then realized...ah..my chest is aching. If someone were scoring me they would have had to deduct points on me forgetting how one pain distracts from another. 

I figured hey ho! At least the pain is only mildly uncomfortable. This is a most definite improvement. One which is obviously worthy of a decent breakfast and hot shower. Somewhere between turning on the water and reaching in the linen closet I felt something odd. Almost like something had snapped in the neck area and released a cascade of pain. Lots. of. Pain. 

"So THIS is what a pain in the neck feels like...a pain in the neck. Hey dog*. I've got a pain in the neck. A literal pain in the neck!" He didn't look up from claiming my sunny spot on the bed. I think he has gotten to the point in our relationship where he realizes most of what his owner says is nonsense. Either that or I am only truly exciting when I have food or a treat for him.

I thought this new 'pain in the neck' might just loosen up and disappear via hot shower. I was very very wrong. The pain got worse so even moving my neck in the slightly wrong direction was horrible. Rolling over in bed was like getting hit hard at the base of my neck. I have a very high tolerance of pain but this pain was enough to get me ready to bring out the prescription painkillers. Except I had already maxed out my daily Excedrin and was not entirely sure muscle relaxers or prescription painkillers would not clash with them in my system.


Instead of being upset over this difficulty I got out the genius invention of Icy-Hot, roll-on style. I am normally a huge fan simply because roll-on style makes it easy to get on and icy-hot just does wonders. I applied. No relief. My father came home and re-applied when it hurt to much to move my neck properly. Still no relief. I got a weird pain cream from my mother when she came home. There's still no relief.

After much consideration I have discovered there to be a select few positions which do not cause me pain. I have decided to 'remain' in one of those positions after a distrastrous attempt to eat dinner. Even now the only part of me doing any moving are my hands typing this. The rest of me is doing a weird frozen state to try and keep the pain centered.

I keep trying to move around every ten minutes or so. Whether this is because I think it will help my neck or keep me from getting permanently attached to my bed is anyone's guess. I will tell you this experience has taught me I take my neck for granted. All this time I never considered how wonderful it feels when your neck is completely pain-free. After my concussion I did have neck pain but there were so many other matters I put it very low on life's priorities. I never thought about how great it was when my neck no longer hurt. Now I am thinking about it. I should have gone out for the night to celebrate or at least had some GF cake or something.

Having such literal pain in the neck is actually making me realize how much of a 'pain in the neck' I am when it comes to appreciating what I have on a daily basis. There are people who would point out, 'you don't have much on a daily basis to be thankful for. You've got neuropathy in your hands  & feet, shakiness, migraines, pain in your chest etc.' Well. You are wrong. My elbows don't hurt nor are they numb or tingling. There you go: I'm thankful for healthy elbows. I even smiled a bit at the thought.

Right now I'm getting worn out thinking about tomorrow's treatments and the dog is cuddled up beside me snoring away. Even though it is hours earlier than I usually drift off to sleep I think I have to call it a night before I end up posting something accidentally again.


Positive Thought of the Day: The time to appreciate what you have is today. Don't wait because it may not be there tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment