Friday, October 4, 2013

Nothing Rolling Around the Insides!

This summer I had pain off and on for weeks in my abdominal area. I did not mention it. Assuming, as always, the pain would disappear in time. For those who know me they can guess what happened. We went on vacation and bam! The pain got horrible on day two. By day three I could hardly move and my doctor said 'go to the ER.' Being myself I put it off as long as possible before my two siblings offered to take me to my usual ER. 

Long story short. I have a cyst problem which has earned me two past surgeries and lots of pain. This time my insides had a special surprise. The ultrasound showed a cyst the size of a plum. This did not bother me. 'What is THAT?' is what bothered me. The technician showed me the cyst was bleeding inside itself. Imagine knowing you have something hanging out on your insides doing whatever and then know it's bleeding inside itself. Then factor in relief on knowing your sudden stomach gain was actually all the fluid floating around in the abdomen and not another weird thing. Put it all together, with lots of morphine, and you get precisely my feelings.

My doctor got me in right away to see her (normally it's at least a month or two) and we decided to go the 'wait and see' route. Basically you hope your body 'eats' it.* My family pointed out the other route sounded good too: the cyst pops, you are in severe pain, but at least it is gone. I pointed out, "you aren't the one who would be in pain." 

*I mentioned the pain had moved. She explained it was because the fluid was actually allowing the cyst to 'roll/float' around in the area. I was horrified. No one should ever have to think something is rolling around their insides having a great old time.

Tuesday was my six (or eight?) week follow-up to check out what was going on. I did not meet with the doctor. Instead I got imagining done to 'look into' the situation. Technicians are not really supposed to give details so I asked her to simply answer two things. 1) Are my insides all there/where they should be? and 2)Is it gone?

You may think it seems stupid to ask if your insides are all there/where they should be but for me, it is a question I prefer to have answered. My first cyst was so large my doctor could not feel certain organs of mine in their places. The cyst had pushed them all into one side of my body. (Freaky stuff right?)


I feel happy to report my insides have not gone on vacation to other parts of my body. They are all where they should be. Better yet, it appears my body has 'eaten' or 'gotten rid of' most if not all of my cyst. Go body! Thanks for getting rid of 'it' and allowing me to avoid another surgery! 


I never thought I would see the day a cyst disappears as a health victory. Now I completely see it as such. Knowing my body can still kick ass makes me hope there is a better health ending out there somewhere. I especially need this boost of encouragement on painful weeks like this one. That and having your little sister home to drive you crazy with wanting to hug you is also encouraging. Minus the hugs. I know she sees it as a sign of love but when your chest is hurting it is actually quite painful to be hugged so tightly. 

Support me in living my chronically life with a flair. Follow the link to my shop on etsy.com: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HelpMeHope

Positive Thought of the Day: 
1) Close your eyes.  
2) Listen to "Air" by Johann Sebastian Bach from the 3rd orchestral suite (D minor; BWV 1068), 2nd movement. 
3) Let this week's stress float be carried away by the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment