Wednesday, December 11, 2013

5 Reasons Why Having a Chronic illness Improves Your Gift-Giving

Since becoming chronically ill I have discovered my gift-giving has definitely improved. Gone are the days of '....I really like it....' (but actually don't). Now it's 'Got to be my favorite gift this year!.' And here's why:

1. My physical body may be moving in slow-motion but my brain is always going. All those years of getting in an amazing assortment of knowledge in a short period of time makes for a mind in need of a problem to solve. Christmas shopping fills the need and provides an excellent problem-solving exercise for my brain. 

2. I actually have time to ponder on what someone would really want. Nothing is worse than  receiving a gift knowing it was clearly a last-minute thought. I want to give a gift where people will know 'hey. I've been thinking about you through and through and through.' Not to mention gives the giver a good feeling knowing they have made someone feel loved.

3. No last-minute trips to the stores. Since my chronic illness has grown worse I am not allowed to drive.* This typically sucked completely until I realized a little detail of my Christmas experience. I hate last-minute shopping crowds and store stress. Having to actually plan a time where I have someone able to drive me helps avoid all those crazy last-minute shopping disasters.

*Trust me. I keep asking people to let me. Those naive enough to have let me behind the wheel still claim to be suffering from the trauma of it. Everyone else is just awe of them for being stupid enough to put me in the driver's seat. I can't even watch television stations which have to many conflicting movements on the screens not to mention the horrifying 3-D experience. My brain and to much movement are simply not a workable combination.

4. Appreciate the beauty of mastering online shopping. Online shopping is a beautiful beautiful Christmas must for me. Amazon & Ebay are my stores of choice. Thanks to them I have almost anything I need to purchase at my finger tips without leaving the comfort of my bed. The best part? Having your shopping come to you. No driving needed. Although you do require a family member to bring in the mail every day.

5. Giving personality to my gifts. My little sister goes rock-climbing all over. She loves the sport with a passion. I love how Walgreens is having a 40% off photo everything sale. Combine the two and you get a photo 'brag'* book filled with her picture favorites and awesome climber quotes. Surprisingly, a major pain in the patella to make but I know the effort will forever be appreciated.

*The 'brag' book is the 4x6 inch size. I have no idea what the name really has to do with bragging rights. I chose it purely because most of the pictures of hers were from friends via facebook which left them low-resolution requiring multiple per page to make them appear their best. Also, does anyone really need a coffee-table size book of themselves? I find it more than a tad weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment