Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Own a Piece of this Chronically ill Gal's History

My great-aunt Ruth was filled with more life in her eighties then most people possess in a lifetime. She told me stories of her reckless times back in 'the day.' One of my favorite is how she used to sneak out of class to go to the shows downtown. Meanwhile my grandfather, who would later go on to be not only the principal but also a college president, had just started on the faculty there.* Imagine his surprise when the first faculty meeting he attended turned how to be an expulsion hearing for his own sister!

*There must have been a pretty decent age gap between the two for this to occur. I never bothered to ask but I am pretty positive it was so.

I think of her life and see her smile. My great-aunt never married, never had kids, but never lost her mischievous spirit. She was a wonderful person. Her death left a definite hole in all our family reunions.




When she died she left behind a variety of belongings. From the dancing Christmas tree of my childhood to her jewelry, they all reminded me of her. Since jewelry is my love I received a medley of hers. Some of it pure junk (I still treasure) and others hidden gems. One being this Vintage 14K Italy Yellow Gold Chain Bracelet. I do not know how she came by it. Somehow I have trouble imagining her wearing such a delicate piece which may be why it was left in near-perfect condition.

Giving it up is hard but I know she would see it as the right thing to do. Heck, she would probably hand me a drink and offer me a cigarette. In honor of how I believe she would want me to do things I am putting it up to eBay. She was a woman who loved a little bit of the element of the unknown and an auction sorts her better than a Buy It Now nicety.

If you want to own a piece this chronically ill gal's history/memories consider checking out the bracelet HERE (on eBay.com). Having someone who knows a little about the story and reason behind giving up something so precious to me makes letting go a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment