Sunday, September 8, 2013

7 Things This Chronically ill Week Has Taught Me

1) No matter how hard you focus/try super glue will never work well with shaky fingers. The superglue tends to go on you, the item, the stuff around the item, and never where you want it. Best course of action? Get someone else to do it.

2) Applying for benefits online is not the smartest idea. You will just be getting fifteen pages of paperwork in the mail a week later. In the future, go to the office. The trees will thank you.

3) Don't bother asking family members to remove the dreaded goldenrod from around the house. When my mother said there was 'to much' I didn't believe it. Driving out to dinner on Friday I finally got what she meant. The whole forest area two houses down consists of 90% Goldenrod.

4) Tree grubs make excellent bait. I still would never consider touching one but if a friend puts it on my hook then why not. The best part is you can catch about 7 to 8 fish before needing to put something else on the hook. Highly impressive for fishing.

5) The CDC really does have Level 4 Virologists who are hunting down the MERS virus. I am completely in awe of their amazing work and entirely jealous.

6) You cannot get everything you want real estatewise in Croatia for 275,000 USD. I wasn't suprised in the slightest at this revelation. However, I still remain amazed at the rude woman on House Hunters who thought she actually could. Having traveled & lived for weeks at a time in Europe I have spent time in European houses in the city, suburbs, and 'where the heck are we?' If you move there expecting to find everything as it is in America you are in for a heart attack of culture shock.  
7) Scabies is actually a parasitic infection which can be detected by a biopsy, definitely does not look like a typical skin rash, and downright freaks me out. To the doctor who thought one of my siblings had it, do you read medical journals? If so, please take a look at the pictures and correlate them with the symptoms instead of handing out medications left and right. Or you could have googled it considering you had never seen a case and your hand is permanently stuck at all times to your mini laptop. On that note, their new doctor believes in eye contact, patient-doctor communication, and not jumping for a zebra diagnosis. In the end, my sibling is fine and I'm very pleased they had the courage to make the best choice for their health. *

*If you think I am ranting well yes, I am a bit. I have had more bad doctors then should exist in this world but part of their treatment stemmed from how we treat them. Being pre-med you never hit a book which says...and now onto the the I have no idea what they have so this is what I should say chapter. And patients, how many of us actually tell a doctor we are uneasy or not completely sold on the diagnosis or treatment? In my family it was: the doctor says therefore it must be so. I have an excellent doctor now and part of that is because we communicate, as in, he listens when I speak and I do the same with him. My sibling's doctor was my pediatrician and would type in my symptom, a medication I was on (I had health problems before THE health crash), and go: Aha! Look! It says here -% have this side effect. 

I could go on and on but needless to say, the more I look back the more I realize I should have said: Can I have my money back? Because I know my medications inside out and I could have told you it was a potential side effect. The point is: that is not the answer and not when you've been on this crap for five years. So look me in the eye and start thinking or tell me you don't know and send me to someone who can help.


Positive Thought of the Day: It's a good thing I hoarded everyone's gifts of Memo pads, note pads, and post-its for years. Accidentally discovering them in a moving box (2 and a half years later) when I thought we were permanently out was downright thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment