Friday, September 20, 2013

A Chronically ill Job Suggestion Celebration!

My little sister has taken it upon herself to find jobs pertaining vaguely to what I like and suggest them as a career. When I say jobs I don't mean like office worker or lab technician. Nope. The latest job she sent me was for an origami artist. This is how our conversation went:

Me: (Opens text with ad for origami artist needed. Good pay.) ...? Texts: Is this a joke? I don't get it.
Sister: No! It really is legit looking! And you do origami! It's perfect for you.
Me: I'm not an origami artist. I can't come up with new spiffy designs. I just do it for my stupidly shaky hands.
Sister: Do you want me to call for you? I will.
Me: ..... I will think about it...
Long-Time Boyfriend suddenly joins in: Is this ad a joke?

Before the origami artist, it was a job call for manga translators. I pointed out I do translate manga for me but it is a ridiculously long process when you are still new at Japanese. No way could I ever be a translator. Not possible. Still, she refuses to give up and I am almost afraid of what will arrive as a job request next.

Job suggestions from the rest of the family typically go as follows. Someone throws out a suggestion. Other family members realize this obviously would not work and give them dirty looks. Everyone gets into a silent, to evidently avoid upsetting me, war over being insensitive to my feelings. They wait until I am having an exhausting nap before discussing such things. Sometimes I point out I am still awake and not offended. Mostly I leave them to do whatever. On the rare occasion where I am on the verge of going crazy from being so sick all the time I start crying. Then everyone gets upset. 

As for myself, I am always looking for a job which will work with my health situation. I'm realistic and know my limits. The year after I got sick I worked as a medical freelance writer for a website updating it's repertoire of work. This would have been great except I started having more problems with light, computers, and was still recovering from my concussion. Our contracts were only until the site was finished updating but I had to bow out earlier then others. I could not function enough to handle the work, a fact of life which makes me throw myself dirty looks.

So what shall I do with my life? Well. Today can be a chronically ill job suggestion celebration! I am always for suggestions on life. Only now I must keep in mind the realistic truths of my health. I don't want to bring those up at the moment though. So perhaps there will be a suggestion which will surprise me by completely working for me. Who knows?

By the way, after much talking on my sister's part  I did call about the origami artist. The position had been filled but if all worked out he would give me a call. Unfortunately, the job is all in origami animals. Flowers, boxes, inanimate objects are all good but animals are the bane of my origami existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment