Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Chronically ill Promise to Return to the Places I Love

One of my doctors told me, "people with problems like yours may never get better, hold a job, or lead a normal independent life. Here's the number of a support group. I suggest you join it." I tried the support group option. I could not take the sadness, talks of how life hurts, and so much focus on being chronically ill. My illness may have my body but it does not have my emotions or mind. I want to live with what I have. Not mourn over all I have lost and the miseries of each day. 

Today I was looking at photos of my trip to Greece. I love Greece, particularly the city of Athens. So I am making a promise to myself to find a way to one day return. Many people would point out, "you don't have a job thereby no money." Yep. I know what you are saying. I am working on the job aspect. Finding a job is not exactly easy when you really have no proper health schedule, sometimes can barely walk, am not allowed to drive, have difficulties with many simple things and listing more would get long-winded and boring. This will not stop me though. I have made a promise to myself and I will find a way to fulfill it. 

That's me admiring the view of the city of Athens
Now to return to the places I love. First of all is Athens but there are so many more. To remind myself (since sometimes I have memory issues) I am going to compile a list of the top 10. Each one is a place where I have been and loved. So today I am promising I will one
day, unless for political reasons, be returning to. 

1. Athens, Greece. I want to eat stuffed grape leaves, visit the Parthenon (again), and walk, or roll in my wheelchair, through the city.

2. Venice, Italy. I love St. Mark's square at night and definitely want to return. My hope would be to one day visit during Carnival. I would love to experience it!

In front of the pyramids!

3. The Pyramids. Enough said


4. Morteratsch Glacier, Switzerland. I have seen many glaciers but never actually walked right up to one. We walked the pathway where the Morteratsch glacier has been receding for years right to its' base where you can peek in to sparkling ice caves and walk by the river formed by a constant stream of melting ice.

5. Heide Park, Germany. When we were little my Oma & Opa would make sure to always take us to Heide Park during our stay in Germany. We still talk about how awesome it was going there back in the day. For old times sake I would love to see it again.

6. Arches National Park. I have been to many different National Park but Arches was always my favorite. If I am healthy I would love to try rock climbing there.

 I couldn't find a decent picture of me in Madrid or Seville so here I am at the Alhambra
7. Seville & Madrid, Spain. My family fell for the Alhambra and city of Grenada but I loved the city of Seville. I would also love to revisit Madrid and see the Prado once again. 
 
8. Hohenschwangau Castle, Bavaria, Germany. Most people forget about Hohenschwangau Castle as it is located so close to Neuschwanstein. I have been to both and loved the Hohenschwangau Castle over Neuschwanstein. Although you really should visit Neuschwanstein as well. The castle is downright amazing.

9. Lucerne Switzerland. This is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. I love the Chapel Bridge and would like to walk on it again.
The Dead Sea from our hotel/spa room window

10. The Dead Sea, Israel. We only got to spend one night on the shores of the Dead Sea and a few hours early the next morning. I would have liked to be able to experience more of its wonders.


This is my list of top 10 places I am promising to return to because I loved visiting them. Of course there are many many places I would love to go. Those I must save for another day.


Optimistic thought of the day: Look for the humor on google and you shall find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment