Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dear 'Brainless' Your Ignorance Made Me Laugh and Inspired this Post. Enjoy!

I'm five feet, less than a 100 pounds, and downright terrifying. The terrifying part I found out when people realized I'm not. I just, as one young man said, "She doesn't take anybody's s***." In my defense he showed utter disrespect to our college cadaver which I could absolutely not just sit there and listen to. He ended up apologizing profusely and never mentioned any form of disrespect about the cadaver again. My professor confided later to my mother (she's faculty) he found my vocal passion, argument, and actions very impressive.

Mostly though I am simply myself. My parents raised me with good manners, excellent posture, and to stand by my decisions. Ladylike in public I do not use poor grammar, show anger, remain gracious to those around me, and present myself as worthy of my family. We live under constant scrutiny. So I do my best to live up to standards. 

Today I'm enjoying a migraine free relaxing day. Until I came across a comment which crosses lines farther than disrespecting cadavers. I had commented on the picture a day or two ago. Something along the lines of 'that's so true. Thank you for posting etc.' Unfortunately for the commenter I was on googleplus mobile so I saw his post. I was going to summarize it but decided he deserves his due:
The posted quote which started it all..
Hey, stupid. Was it you that already put this up before? And I asked how you thought quadriplegics would comply. And many others who suffer crippling injuries and illnesses.You are brainless and serve the same purpose as osmosis. Processing shit.

No language could possibly describe the idiot you are. You do not, I repeat, do NOT speak of what you know nothing about. 99% of the time I let comments of ignorance slide because you guys are really trying to be empathetic. For that, I thank you (see blog on Surname Positive Thinking for clarity).

You baka, are not being empathetic. You are 'defending' those who would be disgusted with such ignorance. I live with a chronic illness every second of every day. At my worst I needed help getting dressed, getting to the bathroom, I showered sitting or laying down (we didn't have a medical shower chair), and occupational therapy refused to let me leave the hospital because I couldn't put my socks on alone. How did I comply? Well, actually I laughed at getting denied hospital discharge because of my socks. I had a brief moment of, 'maybe I could just give up on socks' which was killed immediately by the obvious point it's winter. 

Unless they are family, the long-time boyfriend, or very close friends I do not let people visit me in the hospital. Why? It's because I like to take pride when I get up, dress up, and hear people tell me, "You look really good today." When I was able to leave the house I would correlate how bad I was feeling with how well I was dressed. The nicer dressed I was, the worse I was physically feeling. In my own way this was saying, "screw you chronic illness! No matter what you do, I am still looking good. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Dear, "brainless" how dare you defend us you Sarcoptes scabiei. Do you know what it is like to be a prisoner in your own body? To be perfectly healthy one day and unable to do a thing by yourself the next? I would not wish this on my worst enemy but I would hope, even for a moment, you could understand what words of encouragement do for us. Before getting sick I never would have considered saying the vulgar comments you have. Swearing and calling people 'stupid' is downright stupid itself. At least try to improve your vocabulary by choosing a better synonym.

Alright, the final point: Who taught you biology? They are seriously lacking if your definition of osmosis is: Processing shit. I actually laughed at you there. Honestly, who finds it cool to maim scientific definitions? You do realize there are people on here who lead research in just about any biology field imaginable, publish brilliant scientific papers regarding osmosis, and are university biology professors themselves? Look up the proper definition and apologize for degrading the fascinating process of osmosis.

Wow. My heart is going crazy but it has been worth it. To the person who posted such a quote, thank you. I really appreciated you doing so. To those reading this, thank you for putting up with this long-winded post and being amazing people. To 'brainless': I will never mention your name. It would be petty to do so. If you are reading this, I advise you apologize to the poster and delete your comment. You can also get angry with me. I doubt it would be worth it. The very act of living takes to much energy to care about personal insults. If it had been me you insulted on the post then this blog entry would never have happened. 

Optimistic thought of the day: One person's crude ignorance is another person's inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment