Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tis the Standard 'Y' Incision

I love Mystery Diagnosis dearly but tonight I am watching the classic medical show which started my love for medical shows, Dr. G Medical Examiner. My family absolutely cannot understand how someone who loves life so much can find the world of autopsies so fascinating. I always say, "do you realize how much of a story a deceased body can tell?" 

 As my friend once said, "everyone lies about those questions the doctor asks you in his office but you can't lie when your dead." Which is why I would prefer going the Mystery Diagnosis route before the Dr. G way.  Mystery Diagnosis has always been the show which is downright fascinating and uplifting. Even when the answer is not good, they still have an answer. As a medical mystery as to what EXACTLY is behind my health problems I would really appreciate an answer.
Pictures of the Standard Y Incision can be disturbing. I thought this might be safer

Now. Back to Dr. G Medical Examiner. I am still very much alive at the moment. However, I was healthy one day and literally bedridden the next. So logically, if you can be healthy one day and sick the next, it is definitely true you can be alive one day and suddenly dead the next. I'm not being depressing. Just realistic. 

I wish I were brave enough to donate my body to science. After reading a book which shared the options of where your donated body might be used I lost interest in the idea. On my driver's license it says I am an organ donor. Hell yes! As long as you put me in the ground afterwards please find some use in my organs. I'm sure there will be some, "eh..this one's not usable..eh...this one looks a little crappy..." but hopefully I have a kidney or cornea which can help make another person's life better.

Ah. Commercial break. Good thing there is such thing as a DVR because honestly one of the best parts of the show is chiming in on, 'first we make the standard y incision.' This would be as far as I could make it as a medical examiner. My sister's good friend is one and told me how once they got in a man who had a metal beam weight 1,000 tons dropped accidentally on him. All of his organs came out his..well...let's just say it was disturbing. I lost my appetite entirely while she went to get seconds.

*This episode is intense. The man was just discovered to have died from necrosis of his intestines from a very rare condition.

Medical examiner will never be my calling but I still find the field fascinating. I am always amazed at the secrets our bodies reveal only after we are dead. Perhaps mine will show something really cool happened inside. Cool, as in 'that's scientifcally fascinating except when it is your own body' way. I would be perfectly happy if they were able to find a successful way to treat this health nonsense. There does not have to be anything 'cool' about it. I am perfectly happy to go the Mystery Diagnosis way and end up with an answer while still living and breathing. 

Thought of the day: Be an organ donor! You will save lives and give someone hope for a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment