Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chronically ill Travel to the island of Murano, Italy

This week's chronically ill travel itinerary is to a place-within-a-place where I have already been. What I mean is...I want to visit the island of Murano which belongs (in a way) to the city of Venice in Italy. To clear up the place-within-a-place what it actually means is I have been to the city of Venice. I have taken a gondola ride on its' canals, visited St. Mark's Square at night, and gazed up at the Bridge of Sighs. Venice is the place you visit and never forget. So of course I would revisit its wonders after finally getting to see the island of Murano.


La Serenissima
Where you would find me: The island of Murano is famous around the world for its glassmaking. I did visit a glass factory while in Venice but have always wanted to actually visit the island famed for its glassmakers. I plan to make my first visit to the glass factory and from there anything goes in looking for a beautiful aventurine tea set.





The Art of Glass-Making
My Must-See: In Venice we got a very very short demonstration on how glass is actually made by hand. I really would like to see more of the process. Glass-blowing and Glass-Making have always been interests of mine and I cannot help but be in awe of the craftsmanship which goes into every piece of Murano glass. I definitely want to do more than browse the shops and would plan on at least one go-see at the glass factory.



Thank you to this GF Traveler to Venice!
What I Would Be Eating: For this I would take the water bus* back into the city of Venice. Evidently there is a gluten-free gem called L'Osteria All'Ombra. According to other 'glutards' they have astonishingly good GF tortellini, pizza, and even a heavenly Tiramisu for dessert.

 *I have taken a water bus in Venice before. The water bus looked like a city bus only floating. It was a bit odd to see at first but definitely a great way to travel.



Carnival of Venice
Other Tidbits & Would-Like-To(s): I would love love love to visit Venice during Carnival. We arrived in Venice not long after it had ended and I have wanted to go ever since. Definitely on my list of must-dos!

No comments:

Post a Comment