Saturday, November 23, 2013

Hey ho! At Least My Chronic illness Makes the Elderly Feel Like Spring Chickens!

Some days you need to switch the Surname Positive Thinking method to looking at your relationship with others. Like Hey ho! My chronic illness makes the elderly feel like spring chickens! Now if you think I am just making this up, let me assure you, I discovered this through a very unique 'field trip' of sorts with our church's senior citizen group.

Me using my cane as a photo prop.
Before you start wondering why on earth a twenty-something would be on a senior citizen trip, allow me to explain. There were three reasons:
      #1. They were taking a tour of the local Hindu temple. I always wanted to take a tour of the Hindu temple but would have felt awkward doing it alone. Hence, accompanying them.
      #2. I was raised around people much older than me so I feel totally comfortable spending the day with people in their 70s and 80s.
      #3. Senior citizens make lunch a priority. As a chronically ill person who is a walking pharmacy, lunch is a priority of my own. 

Our senior group ranges from 'I'm more active at 80 then you were in your twenties' to walkers to wheelchair friendly and canes are a common sight. Most of the members have known me since I was in the single digits. They have watched me grow up and my health progressively go down. I am always pleased about this as it definitely saves me from long explanations over my health.* Part of the reason the explanations are unnecessary is because they know my father who keeps them updated. I always say my father is like an iphone. He has an app for anything and everything concerning people. Need real estate help? He knows someone. Looking for a job in a medical lab? He knows someone. Etc. Etc.

*Most of them like to inform me they keep praying for me. Some people say, 'I pray for you' and others then point out 'well I pray for you every night!' I always thank them for their prayers. The more support I receive the easier each bad health day is.

As luck would have it, the local Hindu temple has a fine array of stairs to get inside. I loathe stairs. At home I crawl just to get up them. Crawling in public is not an option so I sighed (inwardly) and began the long long trek up alternating between clutching the railing and cane. This is where the 'spring chicken' aspect comes in. Even the people with canes were offering their help to get me safely up the stairs! Not only were they ascending with ease, they had energy with strength to spare! Half of them were most likely capable of carrying me up there. 

I think it did not cross my mind until later that perhaps my chronic illness was a bit of a morale booster for others.You could see it made people feel good to be able to help me out. Especially when most people are used to people my age being the ones always asking to help them out. Almost like a role reversal where I was the 'frail elderly lady' and they got to be the 'strong lively counterpart.'

Now I can look back and laugh. How strange to think my chronic illness makes people of all ages appreciate their own health. I know I definitely appreciate it. I also appreciate the kindness of people who know what it is like to need help getting up the stairs. I'm glad I could make you feel like 'spring chickens' again. If I make it to the 80s I hope I can follow in your footsteps. Until then, keep on rooting for this chronically ill gal.

If you would like to read more about 'My Cane. My Fabulous Medical Accessory.' This LINK will lead you to my squidoo writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment