Monday, November 25, 2013

Hey Ho! Chronic illness Causing You to Lose a Hobby? It's a Sign to Get a New One!

I have noticed people get very very attached to their specific  hobbies. Some people can not imagine being unable to do them. They like to put in the 'I would simply die if I could not...' To all of you: It's unlikely you will die from losing your hobby. Besides, in accordance with the Surname Positive Thinking, this is actually a sign for you to expand your creativity. 

When my hands shook to much to continue with my hobbies I had a moment of 'I cannot live without doing what I love.' Then, Hey Ho! I said. This must be God's way of saying it's about time I expand my creative horizons and learn something new. Instead of being sad and crying over the loss I am going to be happy about being able to put the left side of my brain to a new use! Time to clean out the insanity known as my box of craft supplies and get on with it!


*Also, the amount of money I have in supplies for my hobby is staggering so giving it up was mind-boggling. When you cannot work there ain't no time to be buying stuff for a new hobby!


Cleaning out the box of craft supplies was an...interesting experience. My healthy self must have once had a desire to do embroidery. By embroidery I mean, went to a thrift store and bought decades old embroidery kits at fifty cents a pop. I would say a few are definitely older than myself. Most people would be discouraged but I decided 'hey ho! I can't feel my right side. Time to take up a hobby with a high potential of causing myself accidental pain I will not be able to feel.'

After several weeks of this I am slowly realizing embroidery will not be a lifelong hobby for this chronically ill gal. Although I am glad I got to test it out. Now I can finally do something with all those embroidery kits* without feeling guilty. 

*I am definitely not going to be using them completely for embroidery. There is some good stuff in those kits which is worth reusing. Also, no one in my family would really care to add an embroidered tree to the wall. Their decor would just clash with the style so using the pieces is a better idea.

 To my readers I really hope you will not give up on life if you can no longer do your hobby. Sometimes life is just telling you to try it out in a different direction. Is it fair? Nope but neither is letting yourself fall into self-pity. Your mind and body deserve more. So clean out your 'junk' and find something new to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment